Motion detection problems

Xeoma Software

Moderators: Admin_N, Administrator, Admin_P, Admin_K

Motion detection problems

Postby higginsd » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi all!

I'm a new customer. I've installed the Xeoma server on a Centos-6-system and record permanently (by using the marker in the motion detection filter) the H264 stream from one IP camera. This works fine and stable.

I defined a motion detection for the camera: marked a part of the picture (a door) with the brush in red and choose an object size a little bit bigger than the default size (because the default seems to be only a few pixels).

I want to mark every detected motion in the stream 1 second before and 10 seconds after detection and pushed the corresponding sliders to that positions.

My problem is: I go to the archive of the recorded stream and choose "search detected motion", after that I'm asked to mark an area where to search on the video screen. While using the free version this works perfect, every detected motion was marked in the timeline by a green area. Now in commercial version no motion - or only the first motion after reconfiguring the detection filter - is detected in the archive stream!

What can be the problem? Shall I use a smaller object size in the filter parameters again? Shall I scan the whole picture and not only a subarea (the door)?

Xeoma is working perfect, but I need the feature to detect motion in the archive if I sometimes have to control my archive stream.

Regards
Dirk
higginsd

Re: Motion detection problems

Postby madusmacus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:07 pm

I am new but from what I think I know is....

I thought the motion detection part was only if you videoed continuously to the archive
you then use the rectangles to make areas to check in the full video that was captured

If you use the motion detection it will only record fragments that have your motion detected in it so..
You use the "<" and the ">" to skip between the motion detected(and archived) bits of video
there seems to be a bug where I ask for 5 secs prerecord but mostly only ever get 2 to 3 seconds but you only want 1 :¬)

there also seems to be a bug that the last detected and recorded video is not available in playback until you get another detected video stored but you can force this to work by killing the program (or service and program)
madusmacus

Postby higginsd » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:58 pm

Thank you for your response!

As I understood the documentation you can start a permanent recording by tagging "Continous work..." in the motion detection modul and then search for motion in the archived video.

The problem with non-continous recording is, that the GUI frontend has to run all the time on any PC/workstation. Otherwise nothing is detected and recorded. With continous recording yon can stop the GUI and save some machine power for other work.

But I think I understand the software a bit more now: I'll test wether the GUI has to run even if you are in continous rec mode to put motion marks into the database. Possibly that's my failure, I stopped the GUI and so no motion marks are stored.

If this is so, my suggestion to the developers: create a complete background mode where you can stop/close the GUI and only the recording server is running, storing data and storing motion tags according to the user defined areas and so on.

BR
Dirk
higginsd

Postby higginsd » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:41 am

So, I performed some other tests. Fact is: also in continous recording the motions are only tagged in the stream (and can only be searched if tagged) if the GUI/client is running and opened on the screen! If the GUI/client is closed or even if it is minimized to the task list, motion detection does not work!

Also the client (and the server) has very big problems to re-catch the camera image after beeing recalled from minimized in the task list. It always produces many scrambled seconds of video stream. This possibly belongs to the resolution of my HD camera (1920x1080) but with less resolution it makes no sense for me to monitor my car or my garden because you can only see, that something happened but not WHO it was.

Non-continous recording with motion detection simply does not work for me because the stream is scrambled on each recording start, possibly the same reason here is the resolution of the camera. And most of the times on a detected motion the recording does not restart, I think for the same reasons.

It would be great the developers found a solution for this, so a complete background mode without running GUI/client and background recording by the server with the configuration the user build in the - now closed - GUI/client! And please keep an eye and some tests on recording of HD streams. I think there is a problem during record start of such a stream. Maybe its better to grab/perform the stream the whole time by the server and only bypass the pure writing process if not in continous mode. This would fix problems in start syncing of fat streams from HD.

EDIT: most of the time I get "Sorry but the board is temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes.". Why is this?

Regards
Dirk
higginsd

Postby Lisaweb » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Ah, so that's what's wrong! I am running Xeoma on my Mac Mini, and have been having no markings on my continuous recording, but didn't know why. But from your post I've learned it's because I have had Xeoma minimized during recording!

Well this is not good. Even if it is minimized, it should still be accomplishing it's full working assignment. I hope the developers see this and have the desire to fix it.

Thanks very much for your enlightening post! :-)
Lisaweb

Return to Xeoma - General discussion