Record and upload while there is motion

Xeoma Software

Moderators: Admin_N, Administrator, Admin_P, Admin_K

Record and upload while there is motion

Postby RonSMeyer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:39 am

So I'm moving over from the old Active Webcam and Windows to Xeoma and Linux.

I've set up:Camera -> Motion Detector -> Save to File (writes video .avi)
.............................................-> FTP

What I want is simply when motion is detected to start recording until about 30 seconds after motion stops. So for example if motion continues for 3 minutes I expect it to record a 3 minute video of the entire event. How do I do that? I've set post record to 30 secords but then the video cuts off at 30 seconds even while motion continues. Sometimes it appears to start another file but it's not continuous with the motion.

Also, if someone breaks into my house, the computer is the first thing they're going to take, so I FTP the recording offsite. I want basically is to upload the same 3 minutes. But it seems to just upload arbitrary time chunks based on an interval. How would I do that?

It seems kind of basic doesn't it? Record and upload when there is motion and stop record/upload when the motion stops. But I can't figure it out.
RonSMeyer

Re: Record and upload while there is motion

Postby Admin_K » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Hello!

Please use necessary macros in 'Save to file' module. What settings do you use there?
You can email us and send e.g. screenshots: http://felenasoft.com/xeoma/en/contacts/

Is 'FTP Upload' module connected to 'Motion detector'?

What version of Xeoma do you use? Is it 16.12.26?
Admin_K

Postby Flooter » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:39 am

I would like to bump up this thread.
I have kind of similar situation - I also save recording to a remote FTP (as well as keep them "Archived" locally).
I am also trying to upload a video as fast as possible because my computer is very likely to be the main target for thief if they breaks into my house.

In order to upload the video recording as fast as possible, I setup these parameters:
pre-recording: 2 seconds
interval: 10 seconds
type: MPEG4, AVI

I would expect to get one or more files of 10 seconds of video each starting from -2 seconds since the movement has been detected.
In reality I get a whole bunch of files and most of them are non-playable- standard windows media player can't play them saying the file is corrupted (some are fine though)

What am I doing wrong? May the corruption be because of my PC (I'm using Raspberry Pi 3) is really under-powered for such things?

Thank you,
Flooter

Postby Admin_P » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:23 am

Hello! Currently the length of video files sent over FTP is determined by the event itself (in your case, by the Motion Detector triggering), not by the interval between files.However, we can add a 'Maximum video length' slider to FTP Upload to make the files more consistent.

The corruption may be caused by the server itself. Please try checking the CPU load on Raspberry while video is being sent over FTP.
Admin_P

Return to Xeoma - General discussion