Android client and permissions

Xeoma Software

Moderators: Admin_N, Administrator, Admin_P, Admin_K

Android client and permissions

Postby MarkoR » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:04 pm

I just installed my first Android client of Xeoma. I'm very puzzled about he fact that I MUST give the client permission to make calls, read my text messages, send text messages, look through my photos, use my camera, use my microfone and use the storage on my device. The client will NOT start until every single one of these permissions are given to the client. This is a huge privacy issue I'd rather avoid. I can understand if you need the permission to use my device's storage space, but everything else should not be required. I will be using the client only to view the feeds from dedicated Xeoma server. I will not use my phone as a security camera in this setup.

I know you are not spying on anyone, but with these security settings I'm still absolutely forbidden to install the client on my work devices. I tried it out on my personal devices, but for that also I would ask you to please not require full access on my device, when I only want to watch the stream from my dedicated Xeoma server.
MarkoR

Re: Android client and permissions

Postby Admin_P » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Hello! The permissions are due to Xeoma being able to work as a server (not just a client) on Android devices too. We are going to release a client-only app for Android soon-ish - it won't need all those permissions.
Admin_P

Return to Xeoma - General discussion