ANPR and OpenALPR integration

Xeoma Software

Moderators: Admin_N, Administrator, Admin_P, Admin_K

ANPR and OpenALPR integration

Postby XeoMax » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:14 pm

Hello.
I bought a PRO license for the anpr module.
I'm in Italy, so i downloaded via GUI the openalpr module and selected "Europe and UK".
It doesn't recognize nothing.
If i tick the "Russia" checkbox, it recognizes the plates but all plate numbers are wrong (obvioulsy).
Can someone point me in the right direction, on how to get the "Europe and UK" recognition to work?
Thanks.
XeoMax

Re: ANPR and OpenALPR integration

Postby Admin_N » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:08 am

Hello,

What version of Xeoma do you use, on what operating system?

The failure to detect your license plates might be connected with how the license plates are positioned (the angle might be too acute, the image might be too blurry, the lighting might be too poor, etc.)
We recommend you to try different combinations of the listed parameters.
Also, we could send you recommendations if you send us a screenshot of how the license plates are positioned in camera image to our support.

You can't really use the "Russia" checkbox for comparison because it doesn't use openALPR. Instead, techniques developed by our team are used for recognition of Russian and Kazakhstanian license plates. So they have different algorithms for detection of license plates and can't be compared.

BR,
Admin_N
Admin_N

Postby XeoMax » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:25 am

Hello
Xeoma 18.11.14 running on a MAC Mini with MacOs Mojave
I'm testing the stuffs in the laboratory. Tested with the plate in any angle. Tried to adjust some options in the Xeoma GUI but nothing changes. I see that Xeoma takes a shot and saves it in the Openalpr folder, but then nothing happens.

Xeoma_1_.png
Xeoma_1_.png (158.72 KiB) Viewed 36685 times

Xeoma_18_11_14__Pro_version__Real_time_view.png
Xeoma_18_11_14__Pro_version__Real_time_view.png (113.2 KiB) Viewed 36685 times
XeoMax

Postby Admin_N » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:23 pm

If it's not a real vehicle with a real plate, just a number for tests instead, you should untick the "Recognize only changed areas" option at the bottom of your ANPR module settings. You can find the option under the monitored zone section, where you should also make sure that the sufficient area is marked with the red brush.

Does it help?
Admin_N

Postby XeoMax » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Hello Admin
Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately, nothing changes.
Tried with these cars with checkbox and without checkbox. Does it work for you? I suspect a problem in lauching the openalpr program. Maybe due to permission or so.
fiat-panda-natural-power-auto-a-metano.jpg
fiat-panda-natural-power-auto-a-metano.jpg (62.13 KiB) Viewed 36680 times

98970885917629.jpg
98970885917629.jpg (38.26 KiB) Viewed 36680 times
XeoMax

Postby Admin_N » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:46 pm

Yep, both work ok.
rec_num.jpg
rec_num.jpg (215.19 KiB) Viewed 36655 times

rec_num2.jpg
rec_num2.jpg (230.02 KiB) Viewed 36655 times

Might be the permissions but also might be wrong settings.

Here's what you should check:
*TICK Europe and EU, nothing else
*UNTICK Russia and Kazakhstan
*SET "Postrecord" to 3 secs
*SET "Detection type" to DETECT ALWAYS
*SET "Show information" for 3 secs
*Make sure the red zone covers the license plate
*UNTICK "Recognize only changed areas"
*Make sure there is nothing in the white list and in the path for external utility
*Make sure that the ANPR is connected to the Preview and Archive module without any other filters

Does it help? If not, well, maybe it is the permissions - could you look into your Mac's settings for the openalpr launch?
Admin_N

Postby XeoMax » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Nothing.
I highly suspect, that MacOS isn't compatible with the precompiled OpenAlpr program.
I've tried to download OpenAlpr on a Debian machine and started "alpr" by hand. The above images have been correctly detected.
For now, i've workarouded that by using a node-red flow on that Debian machine, but it would be nice if OpenAlpr had work in the Xeoma program as well.
If you've time to spend, i suggest you to try to install Xeoma on a Mac and give it a try. :-)
XeoMax

Postby Admin_N » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

openALPR works on Mac OS, too (including when used from Xeoma). And Xeoma (and openALPR) works under Debian as well.

That all said, you might want to re-install Xeoma and openALPR on your Mac, or look into your Mac OS permissions.
Admin_N

Postby XeoMax » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello Admin.
Running alpr manually on the Mac, from the xeoma's openalpr path, do works.
Running it from xeoma, doesn't.
I must give up :(
Thank you anyway.
XeoMax

Postby Admin_K » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:06 pm

XeoMax Wrote:Hello Admin.
Running alpr manually on the Mac, from the xeoma's openalpr path, do works.
Running it from xeoma, doesn't.
I must give up :(
Thank you anyway.

Hi, we're sorry to hear that it still doesn't work.

Anyway, feel free to contact us anytime via Skype, online chat or email, we'll gladly and quickly help!
Admin_K

Postby XeoMax » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:30 pm

Thank you, but i suspect something in macOS interfere wit it. Never mind. Thank you.
XeoMax

Postby CoddyG » Mon May 10, 2021 12:19 pm

Voglio che tu mi aiuti a risolvere anche questo problema.
CoddyG

Postby admin_mary » Thu May 13, 2021 11:24 am

[quote="CoddyG"]Voglio che tu mi aiuti a risolvere anche questo problema.[/quote]
Could you please tell us which version of Xeoma are you using? Try to update to the latest version 21.4.2
You can download it by the link: ([url]https://felenasoft.com/xeoma/en/download/[/url])
admin_mary

Postby CV RV SECURE » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:19 pm

not accurate at all. got it to read the plate 2 times correctly after about 100 trys.
help files says>
For Windows it’s:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Xeoma\

NO my modules says Public\Documents\Xeoma\Additional\openalpr
download has a folder called>openalpr-2.2.0 NOT openalpr
NOW i have this installed in 3 serpate folders not knowen where to put it,
NO SELF INSTALLER.
module says USA on top then at the bottom USA,CANADA
now i have 2 check boxes for USA , why?
it seams any thing you do with this program your giving a WORK AROUND not just a simple add modules and it works.
like this modules not been tested very well when this should be open to the PUBLIC in support form and not sent to support
so EVERYONE can compair there problems.
CV RV SECURE

Postby Admin_P » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:09 am

Hi.

"got it to read the plate 2 times correctly after about 100 trys."
It would be a good idea to share the screenshots of the attempts you have made (like the OP did) - without visual reference any attempt to guide you would be just guesswork.

"help files says>
For Windows it’s:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Xeoma\"
Can you point out the exact file/webpage where you've found any inconsistencies?

"NO SELF INSTALLER."
If you are referring to OpenALPR - you can just press "Download and install OpenALPR" button in ANPR module settings - Xeoma will create all the necessary files and folders automatically, not need for manual installation.

"module says USA on top then at the bottom USA,CANADA
now i have 2 check boxes for USA , why?"
They refer to different algorithms for plate recognition. "USA, Canada" uses Xeoma's own algorithm (this checkbox is available even before OpenALPR is installed). "USA" uses OpenALPR's algorithm (becomes available only after OpenALPR is installed).

Offtopic:
As you can see at the top of this page, this topic was opened back in 2018, so you are not very likely to find any up-to-date info on Xeoma's functionality here, not in 2022. Creating a new topic would be preferable to barging into an old thread with new information.
The fewer details you give, the lower the odds that someone will be able to actually help you. Without seeing the picture, without knowing Xeoma's version or the server's OS, guesswork would be the only option, which makes people a lot more likely to just shrug and move on.
No one is going to ban you for this kind of behavior or delete the post, but I strongly recommend you reconsider this approach, because ultimately it does not help anyone involved.
Admin_P

Next

Return to Xeoma - General discussion