Can't discover 4K camera (but can manually add)

Xeoma Software

Moderators: Admin_N, Administrator, Admin_P, Admin_K

Can't discover 4K camera (but can manually add)

Postby Linwood » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:55 pm

I have five 4K Lorex cameras, models LNE8974AB and LNE8950AB.

Three of them are in a vertical orientation, and the cameras require I lower the resolution to 4mpx in order to rotate the image. Those three work fine with auto-discovery in Xeoma.

The two that are horizontal and true 4K (8mpx) are not discovered. Even if I explicitly search for that one IP address it will not be found.

If I add the cameras manually (using the same RTSP stream info that the auto-discovery found, by the way, just changing the IP address), they appear and work fine.

You have some limitation apparently in your discovery that is not working for (at least these) 4K cameras.

Running 19.3.18 on Windows 10, installed.

Linwood
Linwood

Re: Can't discover 4K camera (but can manually add)

Postby Linwood » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:03 am

Well, the vertical/horizontal does not appear to be the problem. For other reasons I changed all the cameras to horizontal, and did a discovery twice for all of the class C on which the cameras reside. It always finds .102, .103, .104 when the cameras are at .101 and .105 as well. I can see no differences in those two, and indeed I can cut and paste the URL (changing only the last digit) and they work fine, same password and username, same model cameras work fine.

So I'm baffled what is wrong.

THough the auto-discovery half the time gets the wrong URL's anyway, so I end up coding all five cameras manually. But the discovery is broken.
Linwood

Postby Admin_P » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:47 am

Hello! This sounds like an ONVIF communication issue (inconsistent responses to typical requests), you may want to send the details over e-mail.
Additionally, I recommend testing the cameras with ONVIF Device Manager - if it is an ONVIF-related issue, it should have trouble with the cameras too.
Admin_P

Postby Linwood » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:24 pm

Sorry for the delay, I moved on to other experiments.

I had (and continue to) use the ONVIF Device Manager for probing information in the cameras. It works fine for video and most settings, though it gets unexpected responses when querying things like profiles.

Lack of complete discovery is not really much of a problem. In fact many of the programs I use are not very good at automated discovery of these camreas, sometimes picking up only one stream not both, sometimes just missing them.

My initial experimentation led me to believe it related to orientation (vertical vs horizontal) but that is not the case. There is something else going on, and I find it odd it is the first and last camera in the range -- that might be a coincidence, might not.

I would say of my experience this is more of a minor inconvenience than anything significant. If I get bored I will try swapping IP's around and see if I can find any pattern, whether it is specific to a camera or to the order it encounters the cameras.

It is worth noting that a debug log of some sort would be useful during this and other debugging, so one could look and see what actually happened, e.g. did it probe the address at all, did it fail to get authentication, fail to get a ping, fail to get http response, etc. Then I could tell you more precisely what happened. I did not note any way to get debug information logged -- is there?
Linwood

Return to Xeoma - General discussion