Random high CPU usage

Xeoma Software

Moderators: Admin_N, Administrator, Admin_P, Admin_K

Random high CPU usage

Postby jrmymllr » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:42 pm

I'm using 19.4.22 on Linux (server only) and recently noticed the CPU usage was really high. I've never had this problem before in the over 4 years I've used Xeoma. Normally my load is 30-40% on a 2 core CPU, and when this occurs it's 130 or 140%. I see one of the many Xeoma processes is very close to 100%, essentially saturating one core. Things seem to be working normally otherwise.

Restarting Xeoma fixes it for awhile. I'm not sure how long, hours, maybe a day, then it's back again. All I've changed recently is removing the Scheduler module from a chain, and increasing the motion detect area for the same camera.

What is a good way to troubleshoot this? Is there a way to know what camera the rogue process is associated with? It's just strange. I check 'top' periodically and have never seen this issue despite using this particular version and setup for months.
jrmymllr

Re: Random high CPU usage

Postby Admin_K » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:00 pm

Hello,

Please make sure that you're using 19.4.22 version of Xeoma Client. We do not recommend using different Xeoma Server and Client versions.

>What is a good way to troubleshoot this? Is there a way to know what camera the rogue process is associated with?
>It's just strange. I check 'top' periodically and have never seen this issue despite using this particular version and setup for months.

You can turn off all cameras via Main menu and turn on one by one to check the load.

You can also contact us via email: https://felenasoft.com/xeoma/en/contacts/
Forum is mainly a platform for our users to communicate and get in touch.
Admin_K

Postby jrmymllr » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:21 am

[quote="Admin_K"]Hello,

Please make sure that you're using 19.4.22 version of Xeoma Client. We do not recommend using different Xeoma Server and Client versions.

>What is a good way to troubleshoot this? Is there a way to know what camera the rogue process is associated with?
>It's just strange. I check 'top' periodically and have never seen this issue despite using this particular version and setup for months.

You can turn off all cameras via Main menu and turn on one by one to check the load.

You can also contact us via email: https://felenasoft.com/xeoma/en/contacts/
Forum is mainly a platform for our users to communicate and get in touch.[/quote]

I am using the same version of client, however this high CPU usage occurs even when no clients are connected. I restarted the service several times and each time it fixed it for less than a day. The only thing that fixed it longer is deleting all the archives and database and then restarting the XeomaCoreService. That was 7 days ago and it's still ok, but I'm assuming this will occur again sometime.

The memory usage also increases noticeably when this occurs. I saw other reports of this behavior in this forum. Is this a known issue?
jrmymllr

Postby Admin_P » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:43 am

Hello!
You may want to send the description of this issue at our e-mail [url]https://felenasoft.com/xeoma/ru/contacts/[/url] along with the "settings.dat" file from the server.
Regarding CPU load on individual cores: "top" is not particularly great for estimating the load on individual cores, since 130% could mean Core1 is 65% and Core2 is 65%, or Core1 is 90% and Core2 is 40%, etc. "htop" allows you to check the load on individual cores without guessing.
Admin_P

Return to Xeoma - General discussion