Product evaluation: issues found so far

Xeoma Software

Moderators: Admin_N, Administrator, Admin_P, Admin_K

Product evaluation: issues found so far

Postby canem » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:48 pm

I'm looking at a few video surveillance products and have so far come across a few problems and issues when evaluating Xeoma. Perhaps someone can offer advice.

Just for the record, I'm running a 64-bit Xeoma server (version 13.4.5) on a 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 server. The client is also version 13.4.5 running under Windows XP (32-bit) Client and server are running in trial mode.

1. I don't understand the reason for the .xem file format you are using but it gives me problems. Firstly, the command suggested for VLC media player (2.0.5) does not work and gives an error message "the command line options could not be parsed".
2. The seems to be no offline method of converting the .xem files to another format. You should consider providing a tool to do this. It would be even better if you could make a Linux version, so it could be run directly inside the server.
3. The client archive conversion and download tool sometimes returns the images upside down or, sometimes, one long image of just the first frame. There are no parameters to adjust the quality of the conversion and, for example, the WMV picture is noticeably less sharp than, say, the MPEG4. It all feels a bit crude.
4. I thought the trial version was fully featured, but time-limited, yet I do not see the screen capture module and the rightmost (screen capture) sample says that it is not supported in my version.
5. Your SMS messaging module is limited to Russian companies. That's not much good for the rest of the world.
6. I'm trying to understand in what situation it might be useful to read JPEG files as a source. Perhaps someone could explain.
7. Can someone give me a clearer definition of what is meant by a camera with a built-in microphone that doesn't count as a separate imput source? I have seen IP-cameras with built-in microphones that have a separate audio-out cable. Your definition seems to be ambiguous.

All the best,

Canem
canem

Re: Product evaluation: issues found so far

Postby Admin_N » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Hello Canem,

That's a very thorough analysis, and a very valuable user experience report. We'll try to explain everything.

1. & 2.The .xem format was originally meant for internal use. The files you get through Archive and Preview module are meant to be viewed through the built-in media player. So the export feature and view through VLC are just emergency measures. Please try to replace the path in the example with the directory you have on your machine C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --mjpeg-fps=30 1077.xem. If you need the files to be viewed by third-party players on constant basis, you'd better use "Save to File" module.
3. None of this should happen. Perhaps, the reason for the upside down image is your machine's codecs. If your PC is too slow conversion may not work since there are simply not enough resources for that. Or if you have just a couple of frames in your archive (motion-triggered recording) and they cannot be converted (extract too short).
4. It is. It is not a trial version limitation. You get this message because screenshot is implemented for Windows only.
5. clickatell is an international service. If you have suggestions as to what global services we should add, please speak up.
6. This JPEG file in Xeoma will update every time the source JPEG file is changed. So if e.g. any other program generates/chenges the file, with Xeoma you can establish broadcasting or saving of changes.
7. If an IP-camera is streaming audio with video through rtsp protocol, or audio separately from video through http protocol, over the network, then both audio and video will be transmitted through a single module Universal Camera (that is, naturally, if this very camera is supported in Xeoma). If sound comes through a saparate cable that connects to a PC or a microphone that connects to a PC, then you will need a separate module Microphone to process it. Separate Microphone also counts as a source and must be taken into consideration while purchasing a license.

Hope this helps!
Admin_N

Postby canem » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:53 am

Hi Admin_N,

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply. Good support is so important, yet often neglected by some vendors, though clearly not this one!

Using my original numbering scheme:

1&2. I had no luck viewing the .xem files in VLC version 2.0.5. Your suggestion to use --mjpeg-fpt=30 stopped the error message but VLC still couldn't display a movie. The "Save to file" mode is a manual process and I'd prefer something I could automate.
3. The upside down images are a bit strange. My server has an Intel i3-3220T CPU, so isn't underpowered. I tried viewing the files in another PC but the problem remains so it's not a problem at the client end.
4. An unpublished "feature"? Clearly, it should be there. Do you plan to include it in a future release?
5. I'm in the UK, so a UK-based company should offer cheaper SMSs than one based in Russia. I'm just pointing out a perceived limitation from my POV.
7. This is what I thought. Your web page talks of an enbedded mic but it's more nuanced than that, isn't it? Perhaps your web page could be more clearly worded.

All in all, I like the innovative interface but am put off by issues at the back end, especially the .xem file format. The update policy of only giving 6 months updates is a downer for me also. Perhaps in a year or so I'll revisit your product, depending on how I get on with my final choice this time around.

All the best,

Canem
canem

Postby Admin_N » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi Canem,

canem Wrote:1&2. I had no luck viewing the .xem files in VLC version 2.0.5. Your suggestion to use --mjpeg-fpt=30 stopped the error message but VLC still couldn't display a movie.

Again, archive recordings are simply not meant to be viewed outside of the program. However, VLC does support playback of the files. It's --mjpeg-fps=30 actually, where 30 is the fps rate you used to record the file (in your Archive and Preview module settings).

canem Wrote:The "Save to file" mode is a manual process and I'd prefer something I could automate.

You must be mixing it with archive's export feature. Save to File is a destination module like Archive and Preview which you can use along with others, and it has the same features as Archive (like loop recording, selectable directory to store files, etc.) except for built-in viewing possibility. On the plus side it does allow you to store footage in a format of your choice that can be viewed by your player.

canem Wrote:My server has an Intel i3-3220T CPU, so isn't underpowered. I tried viewing the files in another PC but the problem remains so it's not a problem at the client end.

The server does all the work so it may be insufficient if there are a lot of USB or H264 cameras.

canem Wrote:Clearly, it should be there. Do you plan to include it in a future release?

Probably, in one of the future releases. We are currently working on mobile applications, which is high-demand request from users in today's dynamic environment.

canem Wrote:I'm in the UK, so a UK-based company should offer cheaper SMSs than one based in Russia. I'm just pointing out a perceived limitation from my POV.

Well, clickatell is not Russia-based, that's for sure. Do you know of any UK-based sms sending services we could add to Xeoma? We are in the constant search for better opportunities for our users. The thing is though that most services don't give any free test sms which is not really fine with us since our motto is "Try before you buy".

canem Wrote:Perhaps your web page could be more clearly worded.

We'll look deeper into our site texts, thanks. It's essential that users understand the terms so that's a really important issue.

Thank you for pointing the weaknesses and issues out! We do appreciate your help in making Xeoma better. We'll be looking forward to meeting you then and getting your evaluation of our new, hopefully flawless Xeoma!
Admin_N

Postby canem » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi Admin,

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply so comprehensively to my post.

Okay, I'll put my hand up and say that I was wrong to focus on the .xem file format. I failed to see the "Save to file" module, so went off on the wrong track. I got the Save to file module to work, though I don't really understand the parameters it offers, but that's to be expected at this stage. Perhaps you could explain how it would be used to record the output of a motion detector module, where the length of the output file would normally be determined by the duration of the detected motion.

Still no luck with the VLC player but that is no longer a significant issue. It was a typo: I did use mjpeg-fps.

The FTP module also mystifies me a bit. Can I FTP more than one file produced by the "Save to file" module or does FTP transcode the video(s) again? I can see no way to schedule an FTP of saved files using the scheduler module and specify a range of files to offload. As an aside, you often want to "cd" to a target directory and it looks like I can only FTP to the home directory.

Anyway, I dismissed your product too soon, so consider yourself back in the running.

The 6-months of updates still annoys me. I generally expect 1 year for all quality software products.

You are correct. Clickatell is not Russian-based. My apologies. I know nothing about such services in the UK and, unfortunately, can offer no recommendations.

Best wishes.
canem

Postby Admin_N » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi,

Glad my answers were of some help.

canem Wrote:Perhaps you could explain how it would be used to record the output of a motion detector module, where the length of the output file would normally be determined by the duration of the detected motion.

No, Xeoma can't do that yet. Only files of specified duration.

canem Wrote:Can I FTP more than one file produced by the "Save to file" module or does FTP transcode the video(s) again?

Both "Save to File" and "FTP upload" are destination modules, so they can work parallelly but not followed by each other. That being said, FTP connected after Motion Detector will create and upload it own files with no connection to what "Save to File" creates. To upload more than 1 file (to prevent overwriting of the file on FTP) please use suggested macros to create unique names for files.

canem Wrote: I can see no way to schedule an FTP of saved files using the scheduler module and specify a range of files to offload.

Not sure if I understand that one right. If connected after Motion Detector, FTP upload works this way: you specify a time range between uploads (say, 15 minutes) and every 15 minutes FTP module will check Motion Detector if there's motion at the moment there. If there is, it will upload a video (full duration of the motion event but not longer than the interval - i.e. not longer than 15 minutes in your case) or a picture.

canem Wrote:As an aside, you often want to "cd" to a target directory and it looks like I can only FTP to the home directory.

Actually, you can upload to any directory via Xeoma's FTP uploader if FTP user has permissions for that.

canem Wrote:The 6-months of updates still annoys me. I generally expect 1 year for all quality software products.

We are open to your ideas, so perhaps free updates limitation will be revised in the future.

canem Wrote:I know nothing about such services in the UK and, unfortunately, can offer no recommendations.

That's ok, we'll just continue searching. Thanks anyway, it's important for us that our users feel comfortable with the services we offer.

Best wishes!
Admin_N

Return to Xeoma - General discussion