Dlink DCS-3220

Xeoma Software

Moderators: Admin_N, Administrator, Admin_P, Admin_K

Dlink DCS-3220

Postby lmp » Thu May 16, 2013 7:00 am

Hi,

First of all, I'm absolutely new to Xeoma, so I'm sorry if I have stupid questions :D I'm now testing is Xeoma software I need and I like :)
But I have done reading in internet about my issue, but without any success.

My problem is, that I'd like to use Dlink DCS-3220 camera with Xeoma, preferably with audio too. Camera itself is nothing impressive but it is only camera I have with mic.
Unfortunately I can't get even picture from my camera in xeoma.

I'm using Debian where server is running and client on windows 7, with trial licence.
For example ZoneMinder works well if I use URL: http://<user>:<password>@10.1.1.18/cgi-bin/video.jpg
xeoma stucked with, big red txt: Warning: Delay in updating the image from video source. Check current settings and working capacity of connected video source.
I have tried to use rtsp link, but unfortunately without any luck.

Is there some capability to use UDP stream as video & audio, if yes - how? ;)

I'd appreciate any help ;)
Currently for me xeoma interface is a little bit confusing :)

Thanks & Cheers!
lmp

Re: Dlink DCS-3220

Postby Admin_N » Thu May 16, 2013 12:30 pm

lmp Wrote:Unfortunately I can't get even picture from my camera in xeoma.

So you managed to connect from the Win PC to the Debian but you see "Warning!..." message instead of camera image, did I get it right? Does the camera display image normally in its web interface at the same time?
Have you tried to take steps described in "What if your camera was not found" in "+" menu in the lower panel?
Try to choose Manual Setup (not D-Link) in available cameras list (camera's settings in Xeoma), then fill in password & user name fields and then one of these URLs:

http://IPADDRESS/cgi-bin/video.jpg
http://IPADDRESS/video.cgi
http://IPADDRESS/video/mjpg.cgi
rtsp://IPADDRESS:554/play1.sdp

Any success?

lmp Wrote:Currently for me xeoma interface is a little bit confusing

Yep, it's nothing like what you've seen before, is it? We tried to make it comprehensive just like that, intuitively, without manuals or instructions, sort of like mobile devices' apps. Where do you have most troubles in Xeoma regarding its interface?
Admin_N

Postby lmp » Fri May 17, 2013 6:24 am

Thanks for your answer.

After many trials I have got to work with url:
http://IPADDRESS/cgi-bin/video.jpg
I'm a little bit confused about reason. It worked only with "admin" user, my other user works well from browser and from ZoneMinder, but in xeoma it wont. It is small mister for me, but ok, that is not an issue, because I have it in relatively safe environment.
On other hand I have another Axis camera which worked right away without any problems.

Now I can't get rtsp to work. It is not rely necessary, but I'd like to have audio recorded too. As I see in camera config it has UDP audio stream. Maybe it is possible to add this one? If yes what would be correct syntax?
with nmap I can't see camera has opened 554 port, so it looks like there is something with camera and rtsp thing.
On other hand if I connect with Internet Explorer (only, FF and chrome dosen't) I can hear audio from room, so technically audio works well.

Yep, it's nothing like what you've seen before, is it? We tried to make it comprehensive just like that, intuitively, without manuals or instructions, sort of like mobile devices' apps. Where do you have most troubles in Xeoma regarding its interface?

Perhaps it's more about me than about Xeoma. :) I just have used for a while ZoneMinder and there is a lot of parameters to deal with and from one side it is complicated on other hand I have a lot of control over what's happening.
As for now, what I'd like to have (maybe I just haven't figured out and it is here):
-) more verbose response after adding camera, at least in case of failure. I'd like to see what is an error. Can't connect camera, invalid user, whatever, just to have some clue where to look. Now I can't even know if I have entered parameters incorrectly :)
-) now I can't figure out. Is there some overall disk usage limitations? I can see per camera, bet I mean summary. For example all records can use up to X% of available disk space, or Y gb. It is necessary because cameras has very different amount of movement in range and sometimes it is even not possible to guess what will be each cameras amount of data recorded in some period. And the goal is to keep recordings for as long as possible.

Cheers
lmp

Postby Admin_N » Fri May 17, 2013 11:19 am

We looked into that and fixed some issues that may arise so your camera will work smoothly in the new version (Xeoma 13.5.17) that will be available by tomorrow.

lmp Wrote:Now I can't get rtsp to work. It is not rely necessary, but I'd like to have audio recorded too. As I see in camera config it has UDP audio stream.

You are very right, UDP is used for audio and video streaming in your camera. There is no rtsp. This is why you can hear sound in web interface in Internet Explorer but neither VLC nor ffmpeg can't get it through UDP. So I'm afraid the answer is no.

lmp Wrote:I have a lot of control over what's happening

That's what we strive to make Xeoma be like - flexible to the extent where users freely make their video surveillance system do what they want, not the other way round.

lmp Wrote: I'd like to see what is an error.

Makes sense. We'll see what we can do here. Thanks for pointing that out!

lmp Wrote:Is there some overall disk usage limitations?

I'm afraid the answer once again is no. Just the amount of HDD space that must be left empty in any case, for each archive or saving to file module separately.

Hope it answers your questions!
Admin_N

Postby lmp » Mon May 20, 2013 5:50 am

Thanks again for your answers ;)

Just a few things to add.
You are very right, UDP is used for audio and video streaming in your camera. There is no rtsp. This is why you can hear sound in web interface in Internet Explorer but neither VLC nor ffmpeg can't get it through UDP. So I'm afraid the answer is no.

Unfortunately my knowledge about audio/video streaming is far from good enough, but it looks for me that if browser can stream audio, then it must be doable, but OK, perhaps I'm rare kind users ;)

I'm afraid the answer once again is no. Just the amount of HDD space that must be left empty in any case, for each archive or saving to file module separately.

Maybe I still don't exactly understand philosophy of Xeoma, but I can't see any reason why not to make it possible to limit overall maximum disk usage. Actually it dosen't matter is it percentage, minimum left free space, or maximum used space.
As I can see currently, there is only time or size used, not left empty settings for each camera so I have nothing else to do than guess what will be amount of recorded data in each camera. That is not an easy task to do ;)

Cheers!
lmp

Postby Admin_N » Tue May 21, 2013 12:25 pm

lmp Wrote:As I can see currently, there is only time or size used, not left empty settings for each camera so I have nothing else to do than guess what will be amount of recorded data in each camera

Isn't it quite the opposite? With maximum space you allow each camera to use, you know exactly how much space this or that cam is allowed to take, and all cameras in general. With "How Much Space to Leave", on the contrary, you will not know how much space each camera will take, and there might be conflicts.
Admin_N

Postby lmp » Tue May 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Yes it is opposite, but my point is that it dosen't matter exactly what is configuration parameter, so if you like it can be "space used". I meant to have settings not per each camera, but all cameras at once. I'll try to explain:
for example, now I have to set up that camera1 can take 5gb max, camera2 3gb and camera3 1gb. I mean to have setting that all cameras can take 10gb in total of disk space and it dosen't matter if it is 9gb of camera1 pictures and only few bytes of camera3.
lmp

Postby Admin_N » Wed May 22, 2013 1:04 pm

OK I see your point now, and it can be helpful indeed. We will add the global "Space left" limitation in one of the future versions (in about 4 weeks).

Thanks for this idea! If there are any other suggestions, we will be very glad to hear them!
Admin_N

Postby Admin_N » Fri May 31, 2013 1:37 pm

Hello!

Today we are releasing the new Xeoma 13.5.31 that, along with other improvements, will let you define how much free space should all archives leave on HDD. You can download it from our site free of charge!

Hope it helps!
Admin_N

Return to Xeoma - General discussion