Camera doesn't stop recording after motion ends

Xeoma Software

Moderators: Admin_N, Administrator, Admin_P, Admin_K

Camera doesn't stop recording after motion ends

Postby NeoTrantor » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Hello,
my two cameras are configured to record and save to an archive if motion was detected. A few seconds have been set for pre- and post-recording. I'm using xeoma for several years without any problems.
For some reason, one of my two cameras doesn't stop recording anymore after no motion is detected anymore. It just continues on and on filling my HDD until I restart xeoma. After that, it works as usual for some time (might be a few hours depending on the amount of motion detected) and then suddenly the problem appears again. Might have to do with the last update because that roughly is when this came up the first time.
Do you have any ideas or suggestions?
NeoTrantor

Re: Camera doesn't stop recording after motion ends

Postby Admin_E » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi, NeoTrantor.

Xeoma starts saving to archive 24/7 when the "Motion Detector" module stops receiving the preview video stream from the camera, not to miss anything. When this happens again, you need to copy the preview video stream URL to the other player manually, for example, the VLC player. If you won't see the video, then the camera stops sending the video stream. You need to check your CPU, network, and voltage load. You can also try to decrease the camera's resolution, fps, or bitrate.
Admin_E

Postby NeoTrantor » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:36 am

Hi, thank you for the explanation! This seems to be the case for me. Is there any way to disable this behavior? It happens very often and unfortunately I couldn't find a way to fix this yet.
NeoTrantor

Postby Admin_N » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:32 pm

The first step to fight this behavior is to understand what causes it:
is it insufficient (at times) network,
or overloaded camera processor,
or maybe your server computer gets CPU load over 95% from time to time?

Correspondingly, the "cure" should mirror the cause - get rid of network bottlenecks, get rid of excessive requests to the camera, handle the load on the server.

Probably, the easiest would be to try a camera of another make to see if the issues disappear - that would mean that the root of the evil was the camera itself.
Admin_N

Postby NeoTrantor » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:27 am

Sure, I've got three cameras and one does this almost every day (even the times are pretty much the same, it starts mostly around ~18:00-20:00 and ends at ~7:00-8:00 the next morning), for the second cam it happens only like once a week at most and the third camera never fails in this regards.
So yes, at least one camera obviously doesn't deliver a 100% stable stream. But, on the other hand, if the continuous recording after such an event is a software feature which [b]could[/b] be disabled via checkbox, I don't see a reason to throw away a camera that works for 99,9% of the day otherwise.
Oh, and I'm a software dev too and I know that most of the time you only earn complaints from users so I wanted to say thank you for the otherwise great Software - especially because it supports Linux and it just works smooth and stable :)
NeoTrantor

Postby Admin_K » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:53 pm

Thanks for your kind feedback.

You can also contact us via email, online chat or Skype if you need faster tech support, we'll gladly help! Our contact info: https://felenasoft.com/xeoma/ru/contacts/
Forum is made mainly for our users to communicate, so we'll be happy to help you via email or chat if you have questions about Xeoma.
Admin_K

Return to Xeoma - General discussion