Best DVR CARD PCI or PCIexpress For XEOMA Server UBUNTU

Xeoma Software

Moderators: Admin_N, Administrator, Admin_P, Admin_K

Best DVR CARD PCI or PCIexpress For XEOMA Server UBUNTU

Postby morisk11 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi, i am planning to build a LINUX(UBUNTU Latest version or compatible) BASED DVR using xeoma software. Was just wondering if you had anything like it done before or heard about, what would the best card to use, pc specs, drivers and place where I could find the card/drivers.
Could you please give me as much information as possible based on your knowledge! As you probably know, ip cameras are still a bit pricey, where 700TVL analogue cameras retails about €25 and encoders are mad money.
PS: I noticed that you have a android version there released, what about my Iphone??? :) this is discrimination!!!! Joke :P!!!!!
morisk11

Re: Best DVR CARD PCI or PCIexpress For XEOMA Server UBUNTU

Postby Admin_N » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:55 am

Well, we're working on equality of Android and iOS users :D meaning that we plan to release the iPhone version as well. However, the official release date for iPhone app has not been announced yet. You may want to subscribe to our new versions notification letter to get to know at once when it's released.

As for the requirements, we are currently working on a system requirements calculator that is to be published on our site. With its help, you will be able to calculate approximate processor, HDD space, network bandwidth, graphics card requirements, and get our recommendations.

Until then, we're going to have to do this the good ol' way :D

What specs will the cameras have? What video format do you plan to use? MJPEG has better quality, lowest CPU load, but can take much of space (but, if fps is not really high, HDD space taken will also be quite acceptable). H264 or MPEG-4 offer compression that may help save space but give too much of a load on PC with Xeoma, and therefore increase the requirements for stable work. Your choice here will determine the required specs. As for the card, well, it must work with standard drivers for the chosen OS.
Admin_N

Postby morisk11 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:06 am

Hi, thanks for your reply.

As I didn't get any of the stuff yet, I could buy a system that suits best, so graphics card or hdd size isn't a problem.
Any format really would do, but on my current running system I have mjpeg and I am very happy with it.
So no problem there either.
Now, because I am trying to stay away from windows os as I am a bit allergic to it,
I am not too sure about the dvr card I should use. I remember testing out an 8ch pci card with the bt878 chips using Ubuntu and zone minder and worked ok, can't really remember about resolution though. If I could find a good compromise between compatible dvr card and good resolution would be perfect.

So as you can see we have a blank sheet we could fill in with any sort of possibility you might think would work best.

Thanks
morisk11

Postby Admin_J » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:57 am

Hello!

Basically, any DVR with direct URL for JPEG, MJPEG, H.264 or MPEG-4 streams for each channel should work. Xeoma "sees" such DVRs as a number of separate cameras.

So, you will need to find exact URLs to access its MJPEG (preferably), H.264 or MPEG-4 streams. The device's documentation can be of help here, or you can contact importer
(seller) of this device and ask them. Once you have the URLs, simply paste them as IP addresses for IP cameras. You might want to open up access to your DVR for us to try to find the links for you and add support for the device into Xeoma.
Admin_J

Postby morisk11 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi there.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, sorry.

Basically what I would like to do is build a pc based dvr with 1 or multiple pci card, using Ubuntu as operating system and xeoma to capture images from pci card. So rather then using ip cameras, I would use analog(bnc) ones connected directly to the pci capture card.

Hope this help to explain what I am trying to accomplish.

Thanks
morisk11

Postby Admin_N » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:24 pm

Xeoma works with analog cameras as well as capture cards. Please try your cameras in Xeoma in the latest version

However, you might want to look into creating DVR on base of IP cameras - they can be quite cheap as well, yet much more promising.
Admin_N

Return to Xeoma - General discussion